There are many different types of photography. For example, nature, food and sports photography. To improve your skills in whichever style you are most interested, take our 52 week photo challenge! All you need to do is take a little time each week to snap a specific type of photo.
These weekly challenges will help you become more familiar with different aspects of your camera and teach you a little about different angles, lighting and camera settings. Before you begin the weekly photo challenge, we have a few tips to ensure that you really do improve over the course of the year.
- Start following a photographer you admire on social media to stay up to speed. It will help you learn more about what is behind some of their best shots.
- Be sure to examine your photos each week and compare as you go. This will help you improve significantly and can be the difference in just collecting 52 photos and documenting your creative growth.
- Read your camera’s manual (or learn how to master iPhone photography). Actually knowing what your camera is technically capable of will really benefit you throughout the course of this project.
- Pay attention when you are watching your favorite TV show or a critically acclaimed film. You can learn a lot about framing, composition and lighting by watching the pros.
- Check your settings before you shoot. You will need different settings for different lighting and events.
The greatest things you will learn throughout the course of this year are how your camera works and what your style is as a photographer. Not all of your photographs will be beautiful! Make sure to learn from all of them, from the masterpiece to the blurry, dark shot.
To make sure you complete the photo challenge, find ways to hold yourself accountable. You can create a fun hashtag and posts your photos on social media once a week or get a group of friends together and make taking photos a weekly social event. To remind yourself what each weekly challenge is, print out the list below and stick it on your refrigerator.