There are three June birthstones: pearl, Alexandrite, and moonstone. The pearl is a great neutral gem and can be displayed in both classic and modern styles. If you are looking for a fun birthstone gift for a loved one who was born in this month, you can read below to see which suits them best.
Pearl, Alexandrite and Moonstone Symbolism
The pearl is a classic. It exudes sophistication and is the only type of stone that doesn’t need to be cut and polished. Because pearls are iridescent, they complement any type of skin tone well. A beautiful pearl necklace or earrings would be the perfect gift for a June birthday.
What does the pearl represent? The pearl represents purity, innocence and imagination. Each color pearl has a different meaning:
- Blue signifies love
- Black or gold symbolize prosperity
- Pink symbolizes good fortune
- Brown symbolizes harmony and practicality
- White represents beauty, purity and new beginnings
The Alexandrite is an extremely rare gem, making it difficult to get your hands on one. It’s known for its impressive color change from blue in daylight to purple at night and retails for about $10,000 (for a one carat!). For this reason, most of these gems are found only in museums.
What does the Alexandrite represent? The Alexandrite represents luck, good fortune and love. It is said to encourage romance and enhance one’s emotional well-being.
The moonstone acquired its name from Roman historian Pliny, who noted that the appearance shifted with the phases of the moon. It has a bluish tone but can vary in colors, like yellow, gray, peach, green and even pink. The bluer the stone, the higher the value. They are mainly found in India, Madagascar, the United States and parts of Australia. Because of its calming effects, the moonstone is used to treat insomnia and sleepwalking.
What does the moonstone represent? Moonstones represent hope, calmness and abundance. People acquire moonstones for protection and it is associated with all types of love.
Gemini and Cancer Traits
Astrological signs for June are Gemini (May 21-June 20) and Cancer (June 21-July 22).
Cancers are guided by emotion and heart. Cancers are loyal, sympathetic and very creative. But be wary about speaking badly of a Cancer’s family member or revealing personal information. This is one of Cancer’s pet peeves.
- A Cancer woman is passionate and highly intuitive. She is also very sensitive to her needs and the needs of others and is often viewed as nurturing.
- A Cancer man seeks a strong and caring partner and is often turned off by someone who is very sensitive. He is often shy but very polite.
Geminis are expressive and quick-witted. They can carry two personalities and it’s not always easy to guess which one you will get. They are affectionate, curious, fun and sociable, but can also be the complete opposite without warning. Geminis are amazing artists, writers and journalists.
- A Gemini woman is naturally charming and has a lot of friends. She is caring and big-hearted. Rarely does she want to be taken care of as she is a very independent woman.
- A Gemini man is always positive. He likes to adventure and take on new life challenges. He is in no way traditional and can be a tad childish. A Gemini man often looks for spontaneity rather than planning or committing.
June’s birth flower is the rose. The rose has 150 species and is 35 million years old according to fossil evidence. They can vary in size and are widely known for their beauty and fragrance.
What does the rose represent? The rose represents passion, confidentiality and romance. Its meaning can vary depending on the color. The most common colors are red, white and pink.
- Red symbolizes love
- White symbolizes friendship
- Pink symbolizes admiration
For a full list of colors and meanings, check out this rose guide.
June has many important dates in history and is a month of many interesting celebrities and public figures.
- June is said to be the best month for weddings. Juno, the Roman Goddess for which the month of June was named after, is known for being the patron of marriage and birth.
- The first day of summer starts in June. The summer solstice, which is the longest day of daylight in the year, is also in June.
- In June 2007, Apple released its first mobile phone: the iPhone.
Famous Birthdays In June
- Anderson Cooper, journalist and talk show host – June 3
- Angelina Jolie, actress, filmmaker and activist – June 4
- Kanye West, rapper, artist and producer – June 8
- Natalie Portman, actress best known for her role in “Black Swan” – June 9
- Anne Frank, writer “The Diary of Anne Frank” – June 12
- Paul McCartney, former singer for The Beatles – June 20
- Meryl Streep, iconic American actress and Academy award winner – June 22
- Elon Musk, inventor, engineer and creator of Tesla, Inc. – June 28
For an overview of all birthstones, check out this guide!