August birthstones are peridot and spinel. Peridot is the primary birthstone and it is known for its vibrant, lime green color. This is a great stone for people who like statement pieces. Spinel comes in a variety of colors. Surprise your loved one with a birthstone gift that fits their unique style.
Peridot and Spinel Symbolism
The peridot’s stunning lime green glow is very recognizable. Some believe its name comes from the Greek word “peridona” which means “giving plenty.” The mineral itself is lime green, which is different from most gems that get their color from the trace impurities. Peridots protect against nightmares and can bring peace.
What does peridot represent? Peridot represents strength, bravery and balance. It is known to provide healing energies to those with a troubled spirit. There are ideas about how you should wear peridot. According to the Romans, one is to wear the peridot on the right hand in order to posses its magical powers. Others believe that if it’s set in gold, the peridot can protect you from a bad dream.
The spinel is referred to as “the daughter of the ruby” because of its rich cobalt blue hue. Spinels are very rare, more so than the ruby. If you are looking for an even more rare version of a spinel, they also come in yellow or brown. It can be mistaken for other gems such as the sapphire and tanzanite.
What does the spinel represent? Spinel represents physical energy, prosperity and immortal beauty. The spinel is often used to heal energy blockages and speed recovery for muscles and joints in the body. If you are looking for something that brings you self-healing, the spinel is supposed to give a renewed sense of being and ward off bad influences. It’s also known to sooth sadness and reconcile differences.
Leo and Virgo Traits
Astrological signs for August are the Leo (July 23 – August 21) and Virgo (August 22- August 31).
Leos have high self-esteem, and are charming and generous. They love to be the center of attention and are pretty straightforward about their feelings. They can also seem a bit possessive and demand the same loyalty they give.
- A Leo woman is fearless, powerful and self-confident. She likes to be lavished with attention. However, she is very sensitive and her feelings are easily hurt. Leo women enjoy fashion and aren’t worried about standing out.
- A Leo man is ambitious and likes to be a leader. Often times he is seen as a motivator and is outgoing and energetic. Usually, a Leo man is pretty extreme. Any emotion will be amplified.
Virgos have great attention to detail. They are hardworking,very practical and are not very keen on asking for help. Virgos are also perfect caregivers who love animals, books and nature.
- A Virgo woman is modest, loyal and very caring. She likes to solve problems and take care of things for others. The downside to that is that she is often seen as controlling. In relationships, a Virgo woman likes to be swept off her feet.
- A Virgo man is dedicated, smart and self-sufficient. He likes to provide for his family and will make sacrifices to make those around him happy. Unfortunately, Virgos tend to be very insecure about their feelings and often change their mind about important things.
Gladiolus and Poppy Symbolism
The August birth flowers are the gladiolus and the poppy.
Gladioli come in all different colors ranging from bright pink to purple. It is believed that gladioli were first discovered in Europe around the 18th century. It has 255 species and can range from two to five feet tall. Their Latin name is gladius, which means swords.
What does the gladiolus represent? The gladiolus represents strength, integrity and infatuation. It is said that if you give someone a gladiolus, you are piercing them with passion.
The poppy usually comes in yellow, white and red. They are short-lived perennial plants and can grow up to four feet tall. Bees like to use poppies as a pollen source.
What does the poppy flower represent? Poppies represent pleasure, success and remembrance. Traditionally, the poppy is known to be a symbol of remembrance of those who died in war. The variety of colors represent different meanings. Yellow is usually for health and success, white is to console someone and red signifies pleasure.
August has many important dates in history and is a month of many interesting celebrities and public figures.
- August was named after Caesar Augustus, the first emperor of Rome.
- The TV series “Shark Week” airs every year in August.
- President Richard Nixon announced his resignation on August 8, 1974.
- David Letterman first premiered his late night show on August 30, 1993.
Famous Birthdays In August
- Charlize Theron, actress best known for her role in Monster – August 7th
- Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States – August 4th
- Robert DeNiro, actor best known for his legendary role in Taxi Driver – August 17th
- Kristen Wiig, actress known for her hilarious skits on Saturday Night Live – August 22nd
- Michael Jackson, recording artist and legendary “Moonwalk” dancer – August 29th
For an overview of all birthstones, check out this guide!