January’s birthstone is the garnet. The name originated from a 14th-century middle-English word meaning dark red. The color is said to resemble the deep red of pomegranate seeds. This sweet stone makes for the perfect birthstone gift.
Garnets come in a rainbow of colors, but are most identifiable by their deep red hues. In the past they were used as a talisman to protect warriors headed into battle. They were touted as a symbol of life by the Egyptians. In ancient Rome they were molded into rings. Throughout time, many cultures have used and valued the garnet.
What Do Garnets Represent?
Garnets are said to bring peace and prosperity to a community and good health to a home. They are stones of regeneration, bringing positive energy to those who wear them.
Capricorn and Aquarius Traits
Astrological signs for January are Capricorn (December 22-January 19) and Aquarius (January 20-February 18).
Capricorns are responsible, disciplined and have good self-control. They value family and tradition. Although they make for good managers, they are sometimes criticized for being condescending.
- A Capricorn woman is reliable, responsible and persistent. She is strong and a good person to lean on at any time. There is no task she can’t accomplish.
- A Capricorn is busy chasing realistic dreams. He is ambitious and reaches for the highest achievements. He values accomplishment and responsibility.
Aquarius are progressive, original and independent. They enjoy spending time with friends and helping others. Although they have the ability to adapt to the energy in a room, they can still be temperamental and let their emotions get the best of them.
- An Aquarius woman is free-spirited and independent. She has a practical outlook on life, but is still looking for romance.
- An Aquarius man is intelligent and social. He is independent, which can sometimes make him stubborn and unreliable.
Carnations and Snowdrop Symbolism
Carnations come in a variety of colors that each have a slightly different, but significant meaning. They are bright and cheerful, brightening up the winter month of January. These flowers are easy to grow and are very fragrant.
What do Carnations Represent?
Depending on the color, carnations have a few different meanings. Pink carnations represent affection while red represent love. White carnations mean pure love while yellow can mean rejection or disappointment.
Snowdrops are white flowers that consist of three small petals surrounded by three larger petals. These plants begin to bloom in the month of January, brightening the landscape around them.
What Do Snowdrops Represent?
Snowdrops represent hope and beauty. In the past they were considered to be bad luck because they commonly grew in graveyards.
January has many important dates in history and is a month of many interesting celebrities and public figures.
- January was named by the Romans after Janus, the god of gateways.
- January is known as National Soup Month in the U.S.
- ”Much Ado About Nothing” and “Winter’s Tale” are the only Shakespeare plays that mention January.
Famous Birthdays in January
- Eli Manning, football quarterback – January 3
- Stephen Hawking, theoretical physicist, cosmologist – January 8
- Elvis Presley, singer and actor – January 8
- Orlando Bloom, actor – January 13
- Edgar Allan Poe, author and poet – January 19
- Ellen DeGeneres, comedian – January 26
- Oprah Winfrey, media proprietor – January 29
For an overview of all birthstones, check out this month by month birthstone guide!