Are you looking for a refreshing, easy-to-make, healthy and energy-boosting breakfast?
An acai bowl is just what you need. Not only is it great tasting, but when paired with your favorite fruit, nuts and butters it provides all the nutrients needed to get your morning started right.
What is Acai?
Acai is a high antioxidant berry that comes from the acai palm tree. These trees are commonly found in South America, Brazil and Trinidad. Their shelf life is short, making it almost impossible for the berries to be shipped outside of those areas in fresh fruit form. But don’t worry! There are several other options that allow you to get your hands on these power-packed super berries.
For smoothie bowls, it’s best to use frozen packets. These can easily be found in the frozen section of your supermarket.
Acai juice tends to be sweetened and watered down, therefore not ideal if you are looking for a healthy alternative.
High quality acai powder is perfectly fine for a smoothie as well, but you’ll need to make sure that the other items you are blending are frozen enough to get a good, thick consistency.
The best option for an acai bowl is frozen acai puree, which can be found at many grocery stores and even online.
There are many benefits to eating this berry including:
- heart health
- weight loss
- reduced skin irritation
- better digestion
- increased immune system
If you are ready to start enjoying the benefits of this berry, check out our tutorial on how to make an acai bowl and 12 fun acai bowl recipes below. Let’s get started!
How To Make An Acai Bowl
If you know how to make a smoothie, you’ll certainly find it easy to make a smoothie bowl. It only takes three easy steps.
Ingredients For Blending:
- 1 pack unsweetened acai puree
- ⅔ cup almond, coconut or hemp milk
- ¼ cup frozen berry mix
- 1 tsp nut butter of your choice
- 1 frozen banana
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Banana slices
- Hemp seeds
- Chia seeds
- Gather and prep your toppings and ingredients.
- Combine everything (except the toppings) in a blender and blend.
- Serve blended mix into a bowl and add your toppings. Enjoy!
Suggestions For A Perfect Smoothie Acai Bowl
- Make sure most of the fruits you are blending are frozen. This isn’t a must, but it helps if you want a thicker consistency, which is needed for a smoothie bowl. Adding frozen veggies to your smoothies is a great way to get fiber as well. Frozen cauliflower works great for thickening.
- Start with less liquid. Starting with less liquid allows for adjustments during blending. If you feel it’s too thick, you can always add in more liquid.
- Consider additional texture. If your diet allows, nut butters and protein powders work great for adding more flavor and texture. Feel free to blend in or add a spoonful of it once it’s served.
- Pre-chill your bowl. This may sound strange, but just as a beer tastes even better in a chilled glass, so does this smoothie! Just 10-15 minutes (or the time it takes to prep and blend) should to be enough chill your bowl. Note: Do not do this if you are using a wooden bowl.
- Be creative! Buy a melon baller or cookie cutters in different shapes and blend unique colors together. You can also use beautiful edible flowers. Here is a guide for choosing the right ones.
Acai Bowl Recipes For Every Occasion
As mentioned, acai bowl ideas are endless because of the variety of fruits and toppings that are available. Here are 7 additional acai recipes to enjoy all year long.
- For a vacation vibe: Summer Acai Bowl With Big Cluster Toasted Buckwheat Granola
- For a boost of omega 3’s: Berry Beet Breakfast Bowl
- For a creamy and sweet treat: Cacao Acai Bowl
- For the kids: Smoothies To Go
- For a tropical soirée: Pineapple Acai Bowl
- For a post-workout: Protein Acai Bowl
- For a little more energy: Black Tea Infused Irish Porridge with Acai Berry and Pistachio Cream
No matter what fruit combinations you decide on, acai smoothie bowls are a great way to start your day! Gift someone their very own personalized oversized bowl so it can add a little more sweetness to their morning routine.