Most dads have one thing in common…a love for the grill. In our family both my dad and husband are kings of the grill. They love all things BBQ, which is why this year we are making them a special treat just for them. Burger Cupcakes! These cute cupcakes look like little burgers complete with “sesame seed buns” and all of the fixings. Everyone will love biting into these on Father’s Day! Plus, they are very easy for kids to make (along with a little help from mom).
What You’ll Need:
- 12 plain vanilla cupcakes
- 12 chocolate cupcakes
- Shredded coconut tossed in a bowl with a few drops of green food coloring (1-1.5 cups)
- Homemade or Store-bought Frosting (1-1.5 cups red and 1-1.5 cups yellow in separate piping bags or zip top bags with corner snipped off)
- Sesame seeds
- Using a serrated knife, cut the tops off the vanilla cupcakes. Cut the bottom part of the vanilla cupcake in half and discard the middle section. You will be using the vanilla cupcake top and bottom only. These will be the burger buns.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the tops off the chocolate cupcakes. You will only be using the tops of the chocolate cupcakes. These will be the “burger meat”. You can discard the bottoms.
- Now it’s time to start building your burger cupcake! Begin by attaching the chocolate cupcake top to the vanilla cupcake bottom with a little frosting (this acts as the “glue”).
- Pipe a yellow line around the outer edge of the chocolate cupcake (this is the “mustard or cheese”). Repeat with the red frosting (this is the “ketchup”).
- Add the green shredded coconut (or “lettuce”).
- Top with vanilla cupcake top.
- Dab a little water over the surface of the cupcake and sprinkle a few sesame seeds on top.
- Secure the “burger” cupcake with a small toothpick.
Check out the video below which shows all of the steps!
We are serving these up on a personalized BBQ cutting board which also doubles as a gift for dad. And to wash it all down? Root beer served in a “We Love Dad This Much” personalized mug. Oh and don’t forget the personalized wrench bottle opener!
Happy Father’s Day to all of the dads!
Piera Jolly is the founder and editor-in-chief of JollyMom.com, a savvy and popular blog that provides moms with helpful parenting information, fun child-friendly activities, craft ideas, recipes, and the latest trends for moms, kids, and families. JollyMom.com is also proud to have been named a Top 10 Inspiring Blogger by Mashable, a Power Mom by Nielsen and one of Access Communication’s Top 50 Mommy Blogs!