I remember back in the day getting a Big Bird cake for my birthday. I was eight and it was absolutely wonderful. As with many youngsters, Sesame Street was my favorite show and I just thought that Big Bird was the coolest. How did he get so big, I wondered. And could I ride him to school? The heck with the bus! (Then I learned about other big birds – pterodactyls – and my lifelong fascination with dinosaurs began. But that of course is an entirely different story.)
Anyways, through the years I’ve received many birthday cakes, but that one still stands out more than any other. It was such a surprise. I never thought my favorite character could be turned into a cake, but there it was with eight candles glowing on top of it – and I’ll never forget it.
So, if you’re looking to surprise your youngster with unique birthday treats, these seafaring sweets are sure to make his or her birthday beachy keen. (And in case you’re wondering, these cupcakes contain absolutely no crab whatsoever.)
- Cup cake mix
- Vanilla icing
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Gummy orange slices
- Peach flavored gummies (circular)
- Candy eyes
- Round orange gummies (If you have trouble finding these, you can trim the peach flavored gummies into circles.)
How It’s Done
- Bake and ice cupcakes (as you normally would).
- Grind up graham crackers.
- Combine cracker crumbs, butter and brown sugar. This is your sand! Go ahead and sprinkle it on top.
- Cut round peach flavored gummies in half. These are your claws!
- Place upside down gummy peach on “sand”. This is the crab body.
- Use toothpicks to connect claws and body together.
- Apply icing to candy eyes and place on round gummies.
- Use toothpicks to attach eyes to the body.
Hope your kiddo has a beachy keen birthday!