Want to make your message really pop? That’s where a pop up card comes in! Pop up cards are great for any occasion, and they’ll make your gift and message stand out from the rest. Even better, they’re surprisingly simple to create.
We’ll show you how to make a pop up card in six simple steps, plus provide themed printables to get your creative juices flowing. In ten minutes, you’ll have a card that’s sure to impress.
Pop Up Card Instructions
- 2 pieces of cardstock or construction paper
- Glue stick
- Pop up card printables (or extra paper if you’re designing the art yourself)
- Art supplies to decorate with (markers, glitter)
Step 1: Fold a piece of construction paper or cardstock in half. If you’d like to make a smaller card, cut the paper to size before you fold.
Step 2: Cut slits at the center of your card. With the folded side facing you, cut two 1.5 inch slits. The paper between each of the cuts will form a tab that you’ll secure your pop up art to. Tabs can be wide or narrow depending on what kind of art you choose. Make multiple tabs if you are planning to add pop up art along the width of your card.
Step 3: Open the card and fold tabs inward. Crease each tab at the center. They should now be on the inside of the card.
Step 4: Print or draw your pop up art. Choose what will go on each tab—you can either print the images we provided or draw your own. Cut the pop up art out and use a glue stick to secure to each tab.
Step 5: Fold your second piece of paper in half. This will be the outside of your final card. Glue the outside of the first piece of paper. Place the first piece of paper inside of the second piece of paper and press together, hiding the tab cutouts.
Step 6: Decorate your pop up card and write a message. Put the finishing touches on your pop up card with glitter, stamps, or a fun message.
Now that you know how to make a pop up card, let’s get started! If drawing isn’t your strength, but you still want to create a meaningful pop up card, use these printables to guide your design and then personalize your card with markers, glitter and other decorative elements.
Bear Hug Pop Up Card
This DIY pop up card is great for the adventure lover or outdoor enthusiast in your life. Remind them how much you love them with the help of a furry friend. Not included: the bear hug you’re going to give them along with this card.
- Thanks for bearing me, Mom!
- You’re the beary best!
- I almost can’t bear how much I love you.
- Life without you is un-bearable.
- Happy bear-thday!
Pet Pop Up Card
Who doesn’t love a puppy or kitten? Give the animal lover in your life an extra dose of cuteness with this pet pop up card. You’re sure to score extra points if you personalize it to look like one of their pets!
Instructions: This pop up card is a little different than the others. Instead of cutting slits in the construction paper, you will fold each of the pieces along the black dotted lines.
- Glue the tail-side to the back of the card and secure the feet to the bottom of the card.
- Glue the folded white section on one side of the rectangle. Attach to the the back side of the card overlapping with the back legs.
- Glue the front legs to the other side of the rectangle and attach the front feet to the bottom of the card.
- Glue on the head, and your puppy or kitten card is complete!
- You’re the best doggone mom around!
- Tonight we’re going to raise the woof! Happy birthday!
- How’d I find such a pawsome friend like you?
- You’re purrfect in every way.
- I wuf you a lot.
- Not feline well? I’m here for you.
Plant Pop Up Card
For the plant lady in your life, this card is a great way to show someone how much they’ve helped you grow. There’s no shortage of gardening or succulent puns—choose your favorite to celebrate a big event like a birthday, anniversary, or even Mother’s Day!
- Life would succ without you!
- I’m rooting for you! Stay strong.
- You’re plantastic! Thankful to have you in my life.
- I would prick you over anyone else.
- Aren’t you glad you’re stuck with me?
Printable Pop Up Card Decorations
If you need a few more elements to take your card to the next level, these decorations are sure to help! We’ve included word bubbles, banners and other designs to decorate both the front and inside of your card.
Now that you know how to make pop up cards, who will you make one for first? With Mother’s Day coming up, it may be the perfect way to show mom you put a little extra effort into her Mother’s Day gift this year. After all, she deserves it!