What’s better than s’mores? Toasty, gooey marshmallow and warm, melty chocolate between sweet, crunchy graham crackers…possibly the most perfect handheld dessert we can think of. Created by the Girl Scout Troop of America in the early 1900s, the original recipe of this all-American delight continues to be one of the most-loved sweets by kids and adults alike.
Though it’s hard to compete with the original, why not experiment with a few new twists and different recipes to update this timeless tasty treat?
These five new recipes offer delicious alternatives to the original but are fairly easy to make at home using a stovetop or rotisserie.
Shake up your camping trip with this ooey, gooey s’mores-in-a-cone recipe that is so good, it is bound to make everyone a sticky-fingered happy camper this summer.
Aluminum foil (to wrap them in)
1. Chop up the bananas and get some marshmallows and chocolate chips ready to use.
2. Spread some peanut butter on the inside of your cone, and then add in the bananas, marshmallows and chocolate chips.
3. Wrap the whole cone in aluminum foil, then put in over the hot coals or campfire for 5-10 minutes, turning once in a while.
4. Unwrap your cone, check to see that everything’s melted and eat up!
Got any tips to make s’mores at home? Let us know your go-to s’mores making tricks and favorite s’mores recipes for the summer!
Cookie Dough S’mores
This super sweet twist on the classic is a cookie lover’s dream. Give in to your cookie dough craving as much as you want – this cookie dough s’more is tasty and free of raw eggs.
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Graham cracker sheets
Two bars milk chocolate
1. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, salt, vanilla and chips. Add the water, one tablespoon at a time, until you have reached a cookie dough consistency.
2. Spread about a tablespoon of cookie dough onto graham cracker halves. Break the chocolate bars and center one piece atop each mound of cookie dough.
3. Toast a marshmallow over an open flame until golden brown. With your other hand, have a graham cracker ready with cookie dough and a piece of milk chocolate then place the hot marshmallow then top with another graham cracker. Press down to let some marshmallow ooze out and enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Banana S’mores
Living a healthier lifestyle does not mean you shouldn’t treat yourself once in a while. The Dark Chocolate Banana s’more packs in antioxidants and essential nutrients, and is only 190 calories a pop! If you are not a banana fan, raspberries are also a yummy pairing with dark chocolate.
Nonstick cooking spray
2 just-ripe bananas, peels on, halved lengthwise and stems trimmed
2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
12 graham cracker squares
1 3-ounce bar dark chocolate, broken into 6 squares
1. Heat a grill to medium and mist with cooking spray. Place the bananas cut side down and grill until lightly marked (3 to 4 minutes). Flip bananas and brush the tops with the melted butter. Grill cut side up for 3 minutes. Transfer bananas to a plate, remove peels and cut into small slices.
2. While bananas are grilling, place 6 of the graham cracker squares on top of 6 squares of aluminum foil. Top each graham cracker with a square of dark chocolate. Arrange 4 to 5 banana slices on top of each chocolate square and cover with remaining graham crackers.
3. Wrap each s’more in foil and grill 1 to 2 minutes with the foil on or until chocolate is melted.
This crunchy s’mores-like variation of popcorn is the perfect movie snack and finger food treat. Plus, s’mores popcorn can be made in large batches to treat your guests at summer gatherings or large get-togethers.
2 bags microwave kettle corn (about 8 cups)
3 cups Golden Grahams cereal
1-1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups melting chocolate (we use Baker’s)
1. Prepare 2 baking sheets with wax paper and set aside. Pop the popcorn according to package directions. In a very large bowl, combine the popcorn, cereal, mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips. Toss everything together until evenly distributed.
2. Place the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets evenly. Next, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals, mixing well between each interval until completely smooth. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the popcorn and allow the chocolate to set. Once hardened, transfer to a large serving bowl and enjoy!
Go a little nuts for peanuts with this simple and easy-to-make s’more using the tasty combo of peanut butter cups and marshmallows.
2 large marshmallows
2 graham cracker squares
1 peanut butter cup
1. Roast the marshmallows as you would a classic s’more.
2. Place the marshmallows on top of one of the graham cracker squares and place the peanut butter cup on top of the marshmallows.
3. Top with the last graham cracker square and press down to let the peanut butter cup melt a bit. Now eat and go nuts!
What’s your all-time favorite s’mores combo? We like hearing new variations and so do our readers. Share in the comments section!